Wednesday, February 20, 2008

No Country for Old Men.... I went to the MOOOOvies!

No Country for Old MenVery interesting indeed, except for the - it seems - very variedly debated ending. I checked to find the movie online and found a whole bunch of titles "the last 10 minutes" on Google and Yahoo! So, I can't be the only one to have issues with the ending!Anyhow, it is a story that goes very much like a nightmare in which you wish you could get out, but you can't manage to wake yourself up and escape that way. The pace and the way the people act are truly reminescent of such nightmarish dreams: slow and inexorable.You should go and watch this movie, it is suspenseful and well done. I won't tell you the details, that would just spoil it. Suffice it to say, that by my book, it could be construed as a metaphorical story about the indistructible existence of evil. It just keeps on going and doing its thing....Where I ended up not liking the movie though, are - you may now have guessed it - the last 10 minutes.I did deliberately NOT read up on any sites to find out what others had to say to that, I just want to give my original impressions and interpretations of it:It feels very much like a let-down, or you might also go back to my analogy of the nightmare dream: you finally wake up and it is over - just like that!
In this movie, the very bad villan seems to be also the only hero. The good guys don't accomplish much, other than getting themselves killed by our psychopath one by one.I think the ending should have shown THE confrontation between Llewellin and Anton, whereas we just get to the scene where Llewellin is lying dead on the pavement. So we can surmise what must have occurred. That is definitely anticlimactic. The other player, the old sherrif, too, seems like an incompetent police officer to me, just as the first one, at the very beginning of the story, who actually managed to book our villan, AND his killing contraption (I won't tell you what it is). If that officer had acted truly professional, the movie would have had to take a totally different turn, or ended right there, ha ha ha.Thank goodness for unprofessional and blundering sherrifs! They make movies possible!When the movie ended, I thought the reel must have torn, but no, it was really over!
And the moral of the story: Let it be known: Evil never dies, it just keeps going and going, very much like that pink bunny....

No comments: